This position divides its time between ILM’s Studio Talent Group and ILM Production. As part of the Studio Talent Group, the person in this position is responsible for the design, development, and instruction of training courses for new and current computer graphics artists at ILM in London, as well as San Francisco, Vancouver and Singapore. This includes designing course outlines, gathering supporting technical documentation and developing course videos and trainer notes. In production, this role will be responsible for CG artist work under the direction and guidance of their supervisors.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities in the Studio Talent Group:
• Teaches tools for multiple artist disciplines including proprietary software applications.
• Delivers training to ILM studios via live classes, remote training, and recorded videos.
• Develops and implements curricula in accordance with the facility needs in London, San Francisco, Vancouver and Singapore, including instruction on the ILM production pipeline and production procedures.
• Customizes new starter training to the needs and goals of each trainee’s assigned production.
• Evaluates and reports on trainees’ progress to Director of Talent Development, and appropriate department managers and production supervisors.
• Interfaces with ILM artists, software engineers, and production supervisors to determine artist training needs and develop course content.
• Creates and evaluates technical documentation for a global ILM audience.
• Trains on various vendor and proprietary software packages and monitors industry technical advances to stay current with the needs of production and the goals of the organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities in Production:
• Uses artistic and technical skills to contribute to CG asset and shot work.
• Participates as a team member in determining various design solutions.
• Provides feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis.
• Maintains or exceeds consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high quality work.
Education / Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, or computer animation a plus
Required Skills / Competencies:
• Broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of computer graphics
• Previous work experience required in CG digital animation and/or visual effects
• Proven ability to create effective training materials for highly technical subject matter
• Ability to train artists in the theory, operation, and application of computer graphics software
• Ability to self-train quickly and efficiently in order to develop course material in correlation with ever-changing production needs
• Highly skilled at fostering relationships across time-zones, providing global partners with an excellent level of service
• Excellent time-management and organization skills
• Competent use of G Suite (Gmail, Docs, Drive)
• Knowledge of Linux, shell scripting, Python, and C/C++, desirable
• Experience with industry-standard 2D and 3D software packages (Maya, Katana, Nuke, Houdini, 3dsMax, Photoshop) or proprietary equivalent, desirable